Съобщения: 55185
Потребител # 2
Дата на регистрация: 10-October 06

http://www.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...17/1398/MANlife

Harry Potter vs. Eragon vs. Star Wars

Fan admits to obsession with popular fantasy stories

By Rhonda Clark
Herald Times Reporter

I admit it — I'm way too old to be a Harry Potter fan. I'm a Star Wars fan, after all.

But I can't help it. I started reading Harry Potter some years ago as a way to prove that the books couldn't possibly be as good as I'd been told.

That backfired — I love the books and the story of the boy who survived a deadly attack by a powerful wizard who killed his parents, only to go live with his aunt and uncle and be treated like an outcast. By the end of the first book, I was hooked.

And I still can't get enough. I've read analyses and background books, and started reading other books about wizards in a vain effort to cure the disease.

Now I'm as bad as any fan is, with the disease that I carry everywhere and time cannot abate. At least until the last book comes out July 21.

I'm even spreading the disease, which I think should get me a share of J.K. Rowling's profits. I tell everyone who hasn't read the books to start now because they won't have the agonizing wait I did, since the final book coming out soon.

Even more than a share of the money, I would give anything to be allowed to edit the book prior to publication. Would being a copy editor for the Herald Times Reporter be enough experience to qualify? But I digress.

I love to analyze the series, which focuses on the adventures of the wizard trio of Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger.

Is Professor Snape is truly evil, or is just one of those characters that you love to hate? My mind was made up that he was a bad egg when I read Half Blood Prince, but then I read an analysis book that changed my mind. I'll withhold further judgment, though.

I wonder if Hogwarts will be open again next year — it MUST be, since the series is based on each of the seven years of the wizards' education — but Harry's got so much work to do before that next book ends, that I can't help but wonder. If so, will Harry return to school for the year?

I wonder if Ron and Hermione will end up together, and if Harry and Ginny will be as happy as I hope they will be.

I wonder if Harry will be able to defeat Voldemort and survive the confrontation.

I wonder if all my questions will be answered — finally. I sort of doubt it, since it took five books for you to find out why Voldemort tried to kill Harry in the first place. And with all the theories that have run rampant discussing every side, from whether Dumbledore's really dead to who dies in the next book, which serves to promote the books all the more, Rowling would be insane to tie up every loose end.

But mostly, I wonder whether book 7 will live up to its hype. Since millions of advance copies have already been ordered, I doubt Rowling will disappoint fans now. The movies are still coming out and there are potentially more sales from fans who've worn out their previous copies of the first six books during the wait.

If you can feel for Harry Potter, you can't not root for the underdog in Star Wars (Luke Skywalker) in his battle of good versus evil.

And while I admire the simple writing style and creativity of Rowling, whose book attracted many just on the basis of it being something different from what was popular at the time, I have to acknowledge George Lucas' effort in bringing Star Wars to life when there was nothing like it in theaters at the time.

I am less embarrassed to be a fan of Star Wars, since I grew up with three brothers who were obsessed fans of the films. The craze, unfortunately, ended a few years ago.

Which is why, in my mind, the series by Christopher Paolini is this generation's Star Wars.

"Eragon," the first book in the Inheritance series, was shown in theaters in January and the movie will come out in DVD form later this month.

For the first time ever, I watched the movie first and bought the book later to "catch up" on everything I missed from the movie. Then I bought the second book, which has been released, and now I'm waiting for the final book in the trilogy.

The similarities between Star Wars and Eragon are easy to pick out: a farm boy, who is raised by his uncle, gets caught up in something that's bigger than himself (fighting the Empire in Star Wars, fighting the Emperor in Eragon) when his family and the farm is destroyed. They each find friends to help them in their cause, one male and one female (she just happens to be a princess and needs saved; the guy helps with the saving effort) and Luke and Eragon have two mentors who've been trained in the traditional way (if you haven't read "Eldest" you don't know about Eragon's other mentor yet — sorry).

Harry Potter is also an orphan, but genetics is more important to the stories of Eragon and Luke Skywalker. The scene where Darth Vader reveals he's Luke's father is classic, and I refuse to reveal Eragon's family ties for those of you who haven't read about it yet — just know that the title of the second book is "Eldest" for a reason and you don't find out why for a long time.

What fascinates me most about Star Wars is the fact that the story is not so much the story of Luke Skywalker, but Darth Vader. Darth Vader, who really is Luke's father, Anakin Skywalker, was not always evil and heartless. The sad irony is that Anakin turned to the dark force — by a twisted mentor — as a way to save the woman he loved.

In Eragon, you learn a little about the life of Durza, a Shade, who is the Darth Vader to the Emperor, and ends up being killed by Eragon. In Harry Potter, particularly in the later books, you learn about Lord Voldemort's life mainly to learn the wizard's weaknesses to find out how to destroy him.

What Eragon and Harry Potter have in common is their marks: Eragon bears a mark on his palm identifying him as a Dragon Rider; Harry has a scar on his forehead as a result of the attempt on his life when he was a baby.

I can't imagine anyone who has had to overcome what Harry has, but I'm certainly optimistic. Every time he's grown close to a parent figure, they've been torn away. It's almost too bad that he feels it's better to not be with Ginny, Ron's sister, at the end of book 6, because he sure could use all the support he can get.

I would say that I probably am most fond of the Harry Potter series at this point, but don't ask me to pick a favorite until it's over.

That's another similarity: the stories of Harry Potter and Eragon also have yet to be finished.

Pre-orders for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" are being taken now at local bookstores.

The third book in the Eragon series hasn't yet been given a title or a release date, but the first two are available at local bookstores now.

--------------------
user posted image
www.citadelata.com - Българският сайт за фентъзи и фантастика
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
~Авиенда~
Публикувано на: 22 Mar 2007, 20:50
Quote Post

Барон

Група: Potter's Army
Съобщения: 3002
Потребител # 163
Дата на регистрация: 13-February 07

някой може ли да преведе?

--------------------
user posted image
Darth Sparhawk
Публикувано на: 22 Mar 2007, 20:52
Quote Post

The Prime

Група: Sith
Потребител # 2

оо, дълга ми е за превод.

--------------------
user posted image
~Авиенда~
Публикувано на: 22 Mar 2007, 20:56
Quote Post

Барон

Потребител # 163

sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
RAT400
Публикувано на: 22 Mar 2007, 21:27
Quote Post

Рицар

Група: Citadel
Съобщения: 1412
Потребител # 112
Дата на регистрация: 11-January 07

Аз мога и ще го направя... ама най-вероятно към събота...

--------------------
I'm not ready to die. Not today. Not yet. Maybe not ever.
- Hob Gadling, Neil Gaiman's Sandman
PMEmail Poster
Darth Sparhawk
Публикувано на: 22 Mar 2007, 21:34
Quote Post

The Prime

Потребител # 2

много си мил.

--------------------
user posted image
~Авиенда~
Публикувано на: 22 Mar 2007, 21:59
Quote Post

Барон

Потребител # 163

супер!!!

--------------------
user posted image
DARTH_SIDIOUS
Публикувано на: 23 Mar 2007, 00:16
Quote Post

Dark Lord of the Sith

Съобщения: 21454
Потребител # 6

Браво колега, много се радвам, че проявихте желание за една така нелека задача smile.gif .

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image

ПРЕДСЕДАТЕЛ НА БЕЛИЯ СЪВЕТ САРУМАН: Втори път няма да Ви дам да се върнете. Казвам Ви. Моля Ви се! Аз няма да Ви дам думата отново.

(САУРОН) се втурва към лейди Галадриел

ПРЕДСЕДАТЕЛ НА БЕЛИЯ СЪВЕТ САРУМАН: Щом Вие нарушавате и аз ще нарушавам правилника.

САУРОН (стои пред лейди Галадриел): Вие се държите като... Вие сте никоя.

ПРЕДСЕДАТЕЛ НА БЕЛИЯ СЪВЕТ САРУМАН: Лорд Саурон, седнете си на мястото, моля Ви се! Седнете, аз се държа по-добре от Вас, много Ви моля. Заемете мястото си, много Ви моля. Напуснете дол Гулдур!

ЛЕЙДИ ГАЛАДРИЕЛ (станала права): Хайде да си ходим всички!
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin "The Secret of Art" © Andrea 2004 :: Site